Multi-Session Proce...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Multi-Session Processing -- Issues -- Freezing -- Saved frames

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@felixa7)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

All --

I shot M101 on two different nights. On the first night, I shot two hours at gain 236 with offset of 1.  On the second night, I shot another two hours at gain 236 with offset of 20. Other than the offset, there were no differences in camera settings. 

When I first attempted to process using APP, I loaded the lights and calibration frames into a single session. That failed because, when I was 25 % of the way through normalization, I got an error message that the frames were clipped below zero or the calibration frames didn't match. After consulting with folks on CloudyNights, I began to process using multi-session processing. I used the calibration frames from the second night but separated the lights from night 1 and night 2. When I hit normalize, the button grayed out but normalization didn't begin. I was still able to close out of the app, so it wasn't frozen in that sense. 

My first question is -- how do I start back up with processing using the registered frames that are all saved in the working folder? Do I really have to load all the frames again? 

Second -- how do I avoid what happened when I pressed the normalization button? Is this a known problem? 

Third -- do flat frames have to match the offset of the light frames? My sense is that they may not have to because the flat frames I used when I successfully processed the frames from just night # 2 likely had an offset of 1 (I don't know this for sure because I used NINA's flat frame wizard and couldn't find a way to adjust offset for the flat frames). 

Fourth -- SOME shooting sessions with my current imaging camera, the ZWO 294 MC Pro, my flat frames don't seem to work! The dust motes increase in number and there is heavy vignetting. How can I avoid this? On other occasions, the flat frames work just fine. I am wondering whether the flat frames are being rotated or improperly applied?

I'd appreciate any help you can give me!  My equipment/camera settings/work flow are below:

Celestron Edge 9.25 with focal reducer

CEM70 mount

Celestron OAG ZWO 290 mm mini guiding set up

Optolong Deep Sky filter

ZWO 294 MCPro imaging camera

NINA for shooting with offset adjusted in the sequencer page and then use of flat wizard after the session. 

APP for processing (as above) -- I just go from one tab to the next while retaining the default settings. I save all frames at each step. 

Thanks!!

This topic was modified 11 months ago by Charitha Amerasinghe

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @felixa7,

My first question is -- how do I start back up with processing using the registered frames that are all saved in the working folder? Do I really have to load all the frames again?

If you saved the registered frames, load those registered frames as lights in 1) Load. Then skip star analysis and registration and proceed at 5) Normalize. Load or save the project is a current work in progress for the 2.0 stable release, so that is coming.

Second -- how do I avoid what happened when I pressed the normalization button? Is this a known problem?

I am not sure exactly what happened from your description, so Normalize did not start? Nothing happened? This is not a known issue.

Third -- do flat frames have to match the offset of the light frames? My sense is that they may not have to because the flat frames I used when I successfully processed the frames from just night # 2 likely had an offset of 1 (I don't know this for sure because I used NINA's flat frame wizard and couldn't find a way to adjust offset for the flat frames).

No, flat frames can be shot with a different gain/iso as the lights, no problem there 😉 But you need to realize that flats need to be calibrated with darkflats/bias, thos darkflats/bias need to be compatibel with the flats, so those darkflats/bias need to have the same gain/iso and offset as those flats as well.

Fourth -- SOME shooting sessions with my current imaging camera, the ZWO 294 MC Pro, my flat frames don't seem to work! The dust motes increase in number and there is heavy vignetting. How can I avoid this? On other occasions, the flat frames work just fine. I am wondering whether the flat frames are being rotated or improperly applied?

Flat frames are never rotated, the issue must come from incompatible calibration data for your flats and lights. Make sure that you supply bias/darks that match the lights in terms of gain/iso, offset (and temperature and exposure for darks). And make sure that you supply bias/darkflats that match the flats in terms of gain/iso. offset (and temperature and exposure for darkflats).

Let me know if this helps 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Share: