Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Streaky comet in LRGB

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@rickwayne)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I ran an integration on C/2017 K2 yesterday and the result was not what I expected. Sort of the obverse of deep sky stacker's "register stars and register comet" mode, APP produced L, R, G, and B integrations with both the stars and the comet trailed!

I am reasonably sure that this is due to how I interleaved the exposures. Not wanting to end up with big time offsets between the various channels, I had it swap filters with every sub, so the data comprised endless repeats of LRLGLB. When APP prompted me about using timestamp metadata, I clicked "Yes", so the file list window sorted by time, interleaving the channels exactly as shot. I had to click on just about every frame to register the comet -- no big whoop, really. But when I was done I had four streaky integrations.

I tried again, unchecking everything but 14 of the luminance frames, and the comet looks just fine. For that I wound up having to click on about every other frame to register (I clicked "Yes" for "use metadata timestamp" again).

I'm not complaining, or even sure that this is a bug -- it might just be that using timestamp metadata is the wrong choice for this situation. It is, I suppose, somewhat less convenient to select the frames and do the registration four times instead of one. This is more of a "Hmm, interesting behavior" sort of message.

Screen Shot 2022 07 20 at 12.19.00 PM
Screen Shot 2022 07 20 at 12.20.20 PM

ReplyQuote
(@rickwayne)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

BTW I ran it again, loading only one channel. With timestamp metadata on, I get streaks, without, I get a comet. This is with 2.0.0-beta2.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Rick @rickwayne,

Thank you very much for reporting this behaviour 😉

It sounds like APP is having difficulties on your comet data to detect the comet properly... probably best if i can have a look at your dataset to see what happens exactly and why... and then properly fix it if needed 😉

Can you upload the dataset here?

https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/

username: upload

password: upload

Please make a folder like RickWayne-Comet-issue and let me know once uploaded 😉

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rickwayne)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

OK, done. RickWayneStreakyComet.

Thanks!