30 July 2020 - APP 1.083-beta1 has been released introducing Comet processing! This 1st beta has comet registration. The stable release will also include special comet integration modes.
9 July 2020 - New and updated video tutorial using APP 1.081: Complete LRGB Tutorial of NGC292, The Small Magellanic Cloud by Christian Sasse (iTelescope.net) and Mabula Haverkamp
2019 September: Astro Pixel Processor and iTelescope.net celebrate a new Partnership!
APP Crash during Calibration
Well, first off; never be scared of software. 😉 But yes, that's an unfortunate situation. I will ask Mabula to have a look at this thread as well to see if this is indeed the issue we have with some of the newer cards.
Thanks for taking car eof this Vincent. Not afraid of software... After a Bachelor in physics (B.Sc. U of Montreal), I have been making a living at software for over 30 years. Soooo I do have to tell you I have the outmost respect for the algorithmic and scientific value of APP !!! Once you do a couple of tutorials to unfold some of the mysteries, then it is obvious that APP will be part of my life !
I was doing this calibration on v1.082.
I have Java RTE 1.8.0_251 ... I know how that can influence the context. I could go to 8 update 261 but I am worried for other software I use. Unless to tell me this would be fixing things, I am not too hot on updating. What version of Java is your test environment ?
I also have looked into the security definitions in Java to make sure I was not preventing a module from executing. Not the case.
On a fresh start, after a reboot to make sure all is clean, I can add lights and calibration frames up to a point where the software starts behaving strangely.
Screens are erratic and it is obvious something is wrong with lists or pointers in Java memory (geee I have seen this too often in Java). Afterall, that is the error I get.
As long as I do not get to that point, All is fine and I can calibrate.
So I ran the following experiments:
1) I did the project in chunks to make sure there was not issue with the data. And Yes that worked. 4 session done separately one by one did work properly. (that gave me 4 final fits file to later integrate. But for large project that is an intense workload I would like to avoid. So that sounds like the mosaic project in Mabula's tutorial.
2) I played with a lot of the parameters to see if this was influential. No it is not. In particular, OpenGL or not does not make a difference.
Java on your system is of no influence, but the cause of this does have something to do (we think) with us using Java 8. So we're going to switch to Java 11 and tackle this issue then as well as it's definitely not what we hope to see.