Share:

Workflows for STC Astro DUO Filter  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
August 23, 2019 12:24  

You don't have to load the subs again, just go back to the 0-tab and switch to the other algorithm.

ReplyQuote
(@arjan-kievits)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 25, 2019 14:44  

Well, I'm at a complete loss here. Any help is welcomed right now. Here's what I have/do, following the steps Mabula mentioned:

1: shot my first STC Duo Narrowband HA/OIII images with a ASI294mc-Pro. 10 images of M27
2: [tab 1] load lights
3: [tab 0] select Ha-OIII extract Ha (leave all default, i.e. pattern = supported)
4: [tab 2] calibrate using defaults
5: [tab 3] analyse stars
6: [tab 4] register using defaults
7: [tab 5] normalise using defaults
8: [tab 6] integrate. Everything default except outlier rejection --> LN Sigma clip (I used dithering when taking the images. Learned that this setting works best for that)
9: back to [tab 0] select Ha-OIII extract OIII
10: straight to [tab 5] normalise using defaults
11: [tab 6] integrate, same settings as at step 8

Now I have 2 files in my working directory. One for Ha and one for OIII. So far, so good I guess. Both images look exactly the same though! I think something already went wrong here but ok...

12: Go to [tab 9] and select combine RGB
13: load both files, select the first as Ha and the second as OIII filter
14: Slide the red slider for Ha to 100% and green and blue for OIII to 100%

The result: A black and white image, no color. Nothing like what I see here on the topic. 
I also followed the steps in the pdf shared here, same result. 

What am I doing wrong here? 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
August 25, 2019 15:04  

Hi Arjan,

Problems will always arise when doing new things, no worries we will get to the bottom of it. 🙂 For the quickest answer, you can upload like 10 lights, maybe calibration masters as well, to our APP server. Use login and password: appuser

Please create a folder with your name on it first. I'll then have a look at the process and see if I can create a proper result and tell you about it.

ReplyQuote
(@arjan-kievits)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 25, 2019 15:24  

@vincent-mod

I will. thanks. Surely I'm doing something wrong, but that's the best way to learn, right 😉
It's going to be 10 lights only, no darks etc. 'cause this was a first test with the duo narrowband filter. I've got 10 color-lights, too but those can wait. 

(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
August 25, 2019 15:34  

You can add those too, no problem, I can use them to immediately go for the full picture.

ReplyQuote
(@arjan-kievits)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 25, 2019 15:50  

@vincent-mod

okidoki. Done. Don't look at quality and stuff. This was 'first light' for the ASI294MC-pro with both filters. So the files starting with 'NB...' are with the STC duo narrowband and the files starting with 'L...' are the lights with a Baader IR/UV cut filter. 

Tnx again! Hope the workflow will generate some results and I love to understand what's happening.

(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
August 25, 2019 19:49  

No worries, I always only look at the problem, I'm not here to judge the actual quality. 😉 I'll download them and have an answer by tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Galaxy Moderator
August 25, 2019 22:24  

So the problem is because the debayering is not taking place. APP doesn't recognize the camera as having a Bayer filter on the sensor. So to solve this you select "Force CFA" in tab-0 and then go through the steps again. Then you will get the following result (I didn't try to make it nicer or anything, but it solved the issue):

Screenshot 2019 08 25 at 21.24.06

I'll not say anything about them not being in focus. 😉 But you've got some nice signal here!

ReplyQuote
(@arjan-kievits)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 25, 2019 23:28  

@vincent-mod

Holy moly! Thanks, I'll give it a go myself. I played with the [tab 0] and selected RGGB, so at least I was on the right track. sort of 🙂
At least the Ha and OIII data is there, so that crazy expensive filter actually does something 😉

As for focus, I found out I can do a 4x4 binning in APT, exposure to 0.1 and use my bahtinov mask. It's just so different from DSLR but I'll get there...

Another lesson learned. I'll let you know if I can get the same result.

ReplyQuote
(@arjan-kievits)
Brown Dwarf Customer
August 27, 2019 06:57  

got it! Same workflow as described, but changing to Force CFA did the trick.
Now to figure out how to combine the Ha/OIII with the color-lights... Luckily I'm going on a holiday in 3 days, plenty of time to play around with it!

(@adrienl)
Molecular Cloud Customer
August 27, 2019 08:57  

seems I had the same issue in fact / Force CFA not ticked... Thanks a lot for the support.

Adrien

(@phfenain)
Brown Dwarf Customer
September 17, 2019 10:20  

Hi All,

I have an Optolong L-Enhance which is also a dual band for OSC similar to the STC.

I have followed the workflow and I have extracted the Ha and OIII. In "Combine RGB", I have tried allocating Haextract to Ha and OIIIextract to OIII, also tried allocating Ha to Red and OIII to green and blue. I am confused as my trials bring at best a pale result, at worst all green, all red or similar terrible results.

Could someone please explain how you play with the sliders? What is the workflow to produce a good image when combining those narrowband extracts ? 

Thanks!

Philippe

ReplyQuote
(@arjan-kievits)
Brown Dwarf Customer
September 17, 2019 11:19  

@phfenain

Hi Philippe,

I am by no means an expert on this, but I did find that this next workflow works for me:
You seem to be able to extract Ha and OIII and combine them in RGB-combine. So far, so good. What I do next is select the Ha-image for H-Alpha and the OIII for oxygen. Then, slide the R(ed) to 100% for Ha and G(reen) and (B)lue both to 100% for OIII. Click Calculate. I started playing with the sliders afterwards, but if you keep a green haze, try PixInsight to remove that (I am currently on a trial-license and found that it works great, it's just a bit difficult).

Hope this helps a bit. See the screenshot as an example, it shows the sliders for both files. Note that if I leave Green at 0%, the image turns all pinkish or whatever. No details anymore. So perhaps you can try this.

Schermafbeelding 2019 09 17 om 11.21.36

Arjan

This post was modified 5 days ago by arjan.kievits

ReplyQuote
(@phfenain)
Brown Dwarf Customer
September 17, 2019 21:59  

@arjan-kievits

Thanks! That helped me a lot. Still need to investigate and understand the effect of the sliders.

Page 3 / 3
Share: