Share:
Notifications
Clear all

19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.

31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!

DOWNLOADS are available HERE!

Processing and Algorithms  

RSS

(@rockinrod)
Red Giant Customer
July 24, 2021 13:48  

Good Morning, I live in the Florida Panhandle on the Gulf of Mexico...It seems we have been getting these dust and dirt clouds from the Sahara Desert in Africa coming in here on the high level winds according to a Meteorologist friend of mine here. Something not seen with the naked eye, but which the ZWO camera can pick up.

I attached a photo of the entire Veil Nebula here which I captured two nights ago. Using my ASI294MC Pro and a L-eXtreme Filter. This was 3.5 hours integration time, before any post processing.

My question, are there any settings in APP which can remove these pesky contaminants from the image during the processing procedure. Anything in the settings or algorithms which can be selected to remove this red...? Other than the normal setting I always use, I know of no other methods.

Got some very good data here but the red is killing me. Here's the before and after.

Veil in APP
Veil 40 Lights 2 copy 2

Thank you,

Rod

ReplyQuote
(@rob33873)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 25, 2021 14:51  

@rockinrod I get gradients like that with my L Enhance while imaging during a bright moon.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
July 25, 2021 15:57  

You'd have to try the light pollution correction tool, did you ever try that?

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Red Giant Customer
July 25, 2021 18:54  

@vincent-mod

Yes, that's the first thing I did. Seems like it will only take so much of it out. Then when i moved the squares around to different parts of the image, the red shifts around to another location. I played with this for about 45 minutes, that LP feature.

I ended up taking it into PS and doing some layer and mask work. Replaced the background with a new black, then copied and pasted the original stars from my image and pasted it into a copy which I removed the stars from, previously...

Here's the result,

Rod

Veil My New one... copy

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Red Giant Customer
July 25, 2021 18:57  

@rob33873

I was told by a local meteorologist and astrophotographer here that the red was from the upper level wind current coming from the African Sahara Desert...A new challenge!

https://www.severe-weather.eu/news/new-saharan-dust-cloud-atlantic-united-states-forecast-fa/

This post was modified 2 months ago by Rodney Bell

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
July 25, 2021 19:17  

Yeah, isn't the hobby fun sometimes!? 🙂 Hope you have some better skies soon!

ReplyQuote
(@rob33873)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 25, 2021 20:38  

@rockinrod And it just so happens on mostly the 2 ends of the frame?....Google L-extreme filter and red gradients and you can see from others having the same issue..

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Red Giant Customer
July 26, 2021 04:42  

@rob33873

It was quite a job removing that red. Had to remove the stars in one image then the background and rebuild it, using the original stars from another copy of the image. No more red!

R

ReplyQuote
(@rob33873)
Molecular Cloud Customer
July 26, 2021 05:04  

@rockinrod That`s great you got it fixed....nothing like spending a couple of hours in PS to get things right.....lol........before i had Astro pixel processor i used deepsky stacker and spent more than a few hours getting my shots worthy of posting....APP was a game changer for me.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Rob Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rockinrod)
Red Giant Customer
July 26, 2021 12:24  

@rob33873

APP, is definitely better than DSS. No doubt...Get's you off to a great start with most all images...!

I'm happy to have it

Rod

ReplyQuote
Share: