Share:
Notifications
Clear all

19 June 2021: Our upload server https://upload.astropixelprocessor.com/ has been migrated successfully to our new office with higher upload and download speeds (nearly 10MByte/sec up/down ) ! We now have 1 general upload user called: upload with password: upload. The users upload1 - upload5 have been disabled.

31 May 2021: APP 1.083-beta2 has been released ! APP 1.083 stable will follow soon afterwards. It includes a completely new Star Reducer Tool, New File Saver Module, Improved Comet registration and much more, check the release notes here!

DOWNLOADS are available HERE!

[Sticky] Data calibration principles/rules - must read !  

Page 7 / 7
  RSS

(@janwalschap)
White Dwarf Customer
December 14, 2020 21:27  

@vincent-mod

Euh? I don't understand the question: the info in my dropbox contains:

PURE RAW (untouched) data from Vaonis Stellina  (device software Version V.21 dd 30/10/2020)

this is important to future versions to compare to each other

(Reason: So Mabula and his team kan see for them selves what output this device really produces, this info is saved directly to an USB stick attached in the copartment of the Stellina without any interference of whatever)

=> This means the metadata is exactly as it comes out of the Stellina Telecope
21/11/2020 17:17 <DIR> _Session 1 BGGR
21/11/2020 17:17 <DIR> Darks Session 1_BGGR

PURE RAW (untouched) data from Vaonis Stellina  device (after passing the zenith)

21/11/2020 17:17 <DIR> Darks Session 2 RGGB

21/11/2020 17:19 <DIR> _Session 2 RGGB

11/11/2020 10:25 6,393,600 BPM-stellina-bb468e-3072x2080.fits

Results I got after integretion by applying the method mentioned in the directory header:

22/11/2020 09:02 <DIR> integrated session 1 and 2 integration as one session many good images
22/11/2020 09:02 <DIR> integrated session 1 and 2 integration as one session only best images
21/11/2020 17:17 <DIR> integrated Session 1 integration only results

in the root, I placed:

Session 1 => BGGR + BGGR darks

Session 2 => RGGB + RGGB darks

Saved then the calibrated files

Do you have sufficient information with this?

Was this your question?

My main question was:

for the moment we have to treat this as 2 separate sessions which is logical (RGGB and BGGR session)

BUT for the moment each session is evaluated to each other within the session

eg within session one, my images may range from quality 420 => 117  (eg)

the second session may have a quality ranging from 397 => 50 (eg)

They are shown individually with respect to a reference, bu every session has his reference.

But what is the quality comparte to the images of session 1 and 2

to do that, I callibrate all my images, save those calibrated images (in the root of this dropbox link)

then reload all immages as 1 session (becaus all are callibrated)

If I go then to the star analysis or normalisation, I can compare all  to 1 reference

hence it's much more relevant to eliminate the worst or non acceptible images

I Hope I did it right or used the right procedure? That's the only ting I'm not sure of

To let you gain some time, I uploaded those calibrated files in the root 

People at APP told me a button will be there in the future which would allow us to compare the quality per session or as one whole session, which would aid a lot in skipping the worst frames

This post was modified 7 months ago by Jan Walschap

ReplyQuote
(@janwalschap)
White Dwarf Customer
January 19, 2021 11:22  

@vincent-mod

Correction, due to help from colleague astronomers, I made an error in my thinking process!

I can indeed do all what I described; the BMP will be processed as one despite the session split up.

Seen the sensor data is dumped inverted in the 2nd session, data of a sensor and inverted sensor are combined in the BPM! The only solution is to edit the BGGR and convert it to RGGB or vice versa so one has on set of Bayer identical frames. Someone has written an image data flip (ie including RGGB <=> BGGR) program in python (& astropy). Then you will notice that a part of the image is upside down, but APP is capable to handle this "meridian flip" looking image.  The flip is here not at the meridian but near to the zenith, depending on the frame orientation at start.

I reprocessed the frames with APP, and the result is very good!

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Jan Walschap

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
January 19, 2021 12:57  

As I don't have a Stellina and I almost never see them, it's still quite puzzling to me how to tackle the data. But at least it's great to hear you found a solution! Is that script on github by any chance?

ReplyQuote
(@janwalschap)
White Dwarf Customer
January 19, 2021 17:06  

@vincent-mod, HI Vincent, not yet, but I'll attach some research to this post. including the astropy of our Collegue astronomer Paul De Backer connected to workgroups @ Urania, Hove, province Antwerp, Belgium. It's his contribution.

note:

I gave it the extention txt, please rename to .py to let the python script work. More info is in the pdf doc.

You don't need a Stellina ;-), I posted the data for you on  my dropbox, it's still available.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin
January 19, 2021 17:51  

Oh yes I know, thanks for the data. 🙂 I mainly meant that, since there aren't others using it a lot here, I haven't much experience with it. And this is quite the unique issue to have.

Thanks for the script, I'll also have a look at it, who knows we might make a "Stellina" button. haha Not a big chance though as this should be fixed by Stellina I think.

ReplyQuote
(@janwalschap)
White Dwarf Customer
January 19, 2021 18:07  

@vincent-mod I understand now what you ment ;-).  And indeed proportionally, the number of people using APP and Stellina is small, but Since I wrote a small accessible tutorial, a lot of more experienced Vaonis Stellina users are testing APP right now! According to the data to get teh stacking even better, do you have recommendations in APP settings?

In addendum my last one, M1 

processing of  15 december

Messier 1, Crab nevel

(5.9-8.1°C and 91.2-94.4% Humidity)

634 usable light FITS (of 10 sec gain 200, always by default) van de 1104 (tgv 2/8 alto cumulus)

117 Dark & Dark flats + 111 Flats

Extremely good SQM at my location (18.65-19.14) Bortle7, due to heavy rain just before observations.

Moon disk illumination 2.1%

APP post processing all RGGB, Topaz Denoize, light cosmetic touch in lightroom 

M1T mod St 15 3 25 Final

This post was modified 6 months ago by Jan Walschap

ReplyQuote
(@janwalschap)
White Dwarf Customer
January 23, 2021 20:37  

@vincent-mod @Mabula-Admin, just an impression what my input did:

I agree this program from Jan is absolutely incredible. I purchased a copy of AstroPixel because his program takes so much effort out of keeping track of the Bayer patterns of the Lights and Darks. thanks to Jan’s intro to AstroPixel, I am stacking some new images. I find much better results from APP than DSS.
🙂
keep up the good work guys!

This post was modified 6 months ago by Jan Walschap

ReplyQuote
(@neverfox)
White Dwarf Customer
February 4, 2021 21:48  

Make your flats with a low ISO or gain+offset to be able to increase the exposure length of the flats. They will be of better quality then.

The same can be said for the opposite, i.e. make the gain higher to lower the read noise. They will be of a better (but for different reasons) quality then. In fact, this is the advise given by SharpCap. I would say the right answer is both. Raise the gain and lower the light to get low noise and longer exposures. It's a balance, right?

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7
Share: