Slightly Off topic - Forum suggestion  

RSS

Red Giant Customer
September 8, 2017 02:04  

This isn't directly an APP suggestion, but is related to the APP website (the forum).  I'm not sure if Mabula has any control over this, but hopefully he does.

I find it pretty difficult to keep up on topics, as the only way to see recent postings is in the "Recent Posts" in the lower right corner.  This works fine, until there is a bit of a flurry of activity and there have been recent posts that have scrolled off the "recent posts" list.  When this happens, the only way I've found to see messages that I may have missed is to one by one go through each of the categories (General, FAQ, Tutorials, etc.) and look to find the most recent postings.  This is pretty cumbersome right now, and could be even worse if more categories are eventually added.

I think if the Recent Posts list showed a LOT more postings, then it would be easier to keep up on recent discussions.  Right now I think it shows 2 to 5 postings.  I would suggest it show more like 30 postings, or perhaps all of the postings for the last 3 to 5 days.

I know that I've missed some messages that would have been of interest to me.  It's possible I'm not using the forum optimally, but perhaps this suggestion might be useful to others as well?

Scott -  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/

ReplyQuote
Galaxy Admin
September 8, 2017 16:38  

Hi Scott,

Luckily, I have control over the appearance of the forum and the recent topics/post that are shown. I will adjust a couple of things that will help everyone to find things more easily.

I'll increase the recent posts like you indicated.

Thanks again,

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
Galaxy Admin
September 8, 2017 16:56  

Hi Scott,

I have adjusted the following.

• on the right side of the forum, I have removed the warning for windows installation problems since it's solved ;-). I increased the number of latest posts to 60. Currently that shows all posts of the last 3 days. I have removed the latest topics from the right side. It's in the footer and shows the 10 latest topics. That covers the last 5 days currently. And in the footer you can see who's online currently, so I removed that as well from the right side of the forum.
  • The right side forum colomn is only seen in the forum. The footer however shows on every page of the site.

I'll try to improve some more things as well..

Mabula

ReplyQuote
Galaxy Admin
September 8, 2017 17:01  

Have added a search box in the left side column, haven't tested it myself, by if you run it using 1 or 2 keywords, you get results and the possibility to filter your search on subfora and dates for isntance.

ReplyQuote
Galaxy Admin
September 8, 2017 17:29  

Another change: if you go to the main forum, each subforum is now expanded and immediately shows the 20 latest subforum topics. I think that should help everyone to find the right topic fast.

And another: i have disabled the lightbox/slider option for viewing images, with it disabled, images now show correctly scaled on mobile devices/smaller monitors and if you upload an image that has a larger resolution than your display you can zoom in out with mouse clicks (depending on the browser though).

Mabula

Edited: 2 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Red Giant Customer
September 9, 2017 16:40  

Wow, ask and you shall receive!  I really like these changes, Mabula - they'll make the forum much easier to use.  All of the changes look really good - especially having the latest 20 subtopics in date order (with stickies on top).  Thank you very much for being so responsive (as always)!

Scott -  http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/

ReplyQuote
Galaxy Admin
September 10, 2017 11:55  

😉 thank you Scott (again...), for bringing this to my attention. I am quite happy myself with the changes, I can find topics myself more easily 😉 !

The expansion of the 20 latest subtopics really helps indeed. You immediately have a good overview.

I need to have a better look at viewing images, disabling the lightbox/slider gives a better experience on mobile devices, but the images don't open in a separate browser tab, so you always have to click "back" in the browser. Will try to improve here.

Mabula

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register