Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Strange pattern in Light Pollution Tool

Page 3 / 3

(@luckybudd)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@minusman wow!  Much more dramatic than mine!!!  Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

Found the cable!  Is 1m ok?

ReplyQuote
(@minusman)
Red Giant Customer

1m is fine I think. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@minusman Ordering now!  Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@neaptide)
Molecular Cloud Customer

Hey Lucky Budd. I had the same gradient problem with my ASI294mc pro. What offset setting are you using? I was able to mitigate this effect by lowering my offset value to 10. There seems to be a lot of variability with the amount of background noise in this sensor. According to ZWO, Sony says these sensors are all within parameters.

There are extensive threads about this on Cloudy Nights.

Hope this helps

John

ReplyQuote
(@luckybudd)
White Dwarf Customer
Topic starter  

@neaptide hey John, Thank you!!  I have been working with a tech as ZWO as my sensor seems to be particularly noisy.  I will try your offset trick!  It seems to be particularly accented when I use my IDAZ NBZ filter, perhaps it brings up the background?  The data this camera captures is awesome, but for an advertised "Low Noise" camera there seems to be a lot necessary to get rid of the banding!  🙂

ReplyQuote
(@cpear004)
Molecular Cloud Customer

Hey Lucky Budd,

I'm super late to the party, but I wanted you to know that I had this very same issue of wave patterns impacting my images as well and found my problem to be batch cropping in APP and saving as 16-bit TIFF files. Instead, I now save batch crops (if/when they are done) as 32bit Floats and then after all is said and done, I go and save the final TIFF files as 16 bit TIFFs. That appears to have removed the waves from my images. I'm using a William Optics RedCat 51 f/4.9 with a ZWO ASI2600MC-Pro OSC. Bortle 8+ skies in DC region with plenty of light pollution in my immediate vicinity too. And the occasional moon 🙂 

FYI - I found this solution before finding your post, but it's good to see we both found a similar solution. I'm going to continue testing, Mabula, and if I see this to be a more consistent issue, I'll be sure to let you guys know. And to let my subscribers know too as some are using APP and may make this same error unintentionally when preparing to export their data for post processing (particularly if they are like me and do some of their final edits in Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.).

Clear skies all!

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: