RAW Files for Proce...

Share:

We have updated the forum software 🙂 ! We are now working on upgrading the whole site and the Forum to a dark theme...  so please refresh your internet browser twice to properly update the forum appearance AND functionality... Check your internet browser for the refresh function, on windows, this usually is the F5 button, but it depends on your internet browser.

[Sticky] RAW Files for Processing Practice  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
April 26, 2018 16:14  

Hi @wei-hao_wang and Kirk @1cm69,

APP 1.060 is nearly there for release 😉

I have implemented Multi-factor (3 factors) dark frame scaling as well, which works very robust. I can see from the factors that the temperature was dropping several degrees during the imaging session and that the temperature was a couple of degrees higher when compared to taking the darks themselves. The factors are dropping each next frame towards 1.25 and the actual darks were shot 90 minutes after capturing the lights according to Wei-Hao's logs, so that makes sense as well.

Here's another result from Wei-Hao's M42-A7 dataset with the improved dark-frame scaling and I removed the bad flats from the flats to make a better masterflat.

APP integration with MultiFactorDarkScaling

Cheers,

Mabula

Main developer of Astro Pixel Processor and owner of Aries Productions

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
April 26, 2018 16:38  
Posted by: Mabula Haverkamp - Admin

Hi @wei-hao_wang and Kirk @1cm69,

APP 1.060 is nearly there for release 😉

I have implemented Multi-factor (3 factors) dark frame scaling as well, which works very robust. I can see from the factors that the temperature was dropping several degrees during the imaging session and that the temperature was a couple of degrees higher when compared to taking the darks themselves. The factors are dropping each next frame towards 1.25 and the actual darks were shot 90 minutes after capturing the lights according to Wei-Hao's logs, so that makes sense as well.

Here's another result from Wei-Hao's M42-A7 dataset with the improved dark-frame scaling and I removed the bad flats from the flats to make a better masterflat.

APP integration with MultiFactorDarkScaling

Cheers,

Mabula

That's fantastic Mabula, great work.

I have just loaded the 3 main images from this thread in separate tabs, (1059, 1065 & 1096), clicking on each in sequence and there is definitely a noticeable progression to them.

Image 1096 looks very much even to the eye as well as better colour saturation, mainly the blues are clearer. Plus the stars & nebulosity looks more 3 dimensional.

Looking forward to the next release but willing to wait for you to iron out all the bugs first.

Regards..,

Kirk 

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
June 4, 2018 18:33  

Finally had some spare time to go back over this data using the new version of APP, what a massive difference.

I took on board what Mabula @mabula-haverkamp-administrator had said about the Flats and I manually went through each one and rejected any that showed any form of hard/straight edge & out of the 32 Flats I only used 15.

Anyway, here is my take on the data

St med 1831.0s NR x 1.0 LZ3 NS full qua add sc BWMV nor AA RL MBB5 1stLNC it3 lpc cbg cbg St

One thing that I have noticed Mabula is that when using the 'remove light pollution' tool it automatically adds 'cbg' to the end of the filename as well, this is before I have performed a 'calibrate background', ending as '-lpc-cbg.fits', shouldn't this just be '-lpc.fits'?

Then after doing a 'calibrate background' the filename ending is '-lpc-cbg-cbg.fits' and shouldn't this now be '-lpc-cbg.fits'?

Cheers

Kirk  😉 

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
June 4, 2018 22:03  

Excellent Kirk @1cm69 😉 !

Indeed, I threw away the same amount of the flats (I believe).

It's a great image by the way 😉 the subtle colors in the nebula are beautiful. Thanks to  @wei-hao_wang for shooting and providing the data, it turned very helpfull for me as well to improve significantly in calibration in APP.

Regarding Light Pollution correction, the tool performs background calibration as well now. This changed a couple of versions ago.

So if you have done LPC, you immediately do CBG (Calibrate BackGround) as well ;-).

The selected areas to perform the light pollution correction can also be used to perform the background calibration, since these areas should be representative of the actual sky background.

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@1cm69)
Red Giant Customer
June 4, 2018 22:22  

OK, I must have missed spotting that change before. 

So if I do a LPC, I don’t then need to perform a CBG as it has already been done when the LPC is actioned, is this correct?

cheers,

Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Quasar Admin
June 4, 2018 22:47  

100% correct Kirk @1cm69.

If the LPC version looks good (due to good LP correction using area selectboxes on the sky background), then the background calibration must be good as well, since it used the LP corrected data from those area selectboxes 😉

Mabula

1CM69 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: