MD not created even...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

MD not created even though Darks present

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rowland-f-archer-jr)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

I have a rather large project loaded - 861 Lights, 167 Flats, 125 Darks, a MasterBias and a BPM.

There are five sessions and 7 channels - LRGB and SHO. 

There are four exposure lengths in use:  1 second, 10 sec, 60 sec, 300 sec.  The object is M42 and I shot some 1 sec L's to try and get some definition in the bright core.

I had 10s, 60s and 300s darks and they are all loaded.  The darks are assigned to All Sessions and All Channels.  I didn't have 1 sec darks so decided to give it a try and when prompted, told APP to use the 10s darks.

I clicked Calibrate.

Although I shot all light and calibration frames with Gain=200, APP prompted me to ask which dark frames to use, saying the Light was Gain zero.  I assigned the appropriate dark frames for the 10s and 300s lights.  When APP prompted me for the 60s RGB frames, it only offered the choice of a 300s or a 10s MasterDark.  I assigned the 300s MasterDark, and when the calibrate step finished, it showed the 60s frames with this 300s MD assigned, and scaled.

My question is - why wasn't a 60sec MasterDark created and used?   I have not closed the project so if there's anything I can provide to help, let me know.

Thanks,

60s darks loaded and selected
No 60s MD available to assign
no 60s md created

Rowland

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Rowland @rowland-f-archer-jr,

If you load darks and assign them to the same channel and session, they will be combined to 1 Masterdark for all darks that have the same ISO/gain.

I notice from your screenshots that not all darks have the same gain: 200 & 201, so since you assigned all darks to the same channel and session, APP created 2 Masterdarks, one for gain 200 and 1 for gain 201. So the 60sec darks should have been integrated into the 201 gain Masterdark together with the 10s darks.

If you want to have a 10s, 60s and 300s masterdark to be used for all sessions, perhaps, it's best to simply create them first before starting with the multi-channel /session workflow.

Regarding the gain reported for the light, does APP correctly show the gain for the light frame in the frame list panel? Or does it show 0 as well ? (perhaps a small bug here)

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@rowland-f-archer-jr)
Neutron Star
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula. 

Good question about GAIN in the FITS header.  I've never used GAIN = zero with the ASI1600MM so I was surprised to see that show up in APP.  I looked at the FITS header and MaximDL recorded an "eGAIN" value of 1.0, but there was no GAIN tag in the FITS header.  Last summer when I was using SGP, the GAIN value was recorded, but it looks like MaximDL is not recording GAIN.  I'm assuming APP decided that no value for GAIN meant GAIN = zero, a reasonable assumption.

I'll have to investigate what MaximDL is doing.  I always include the GAIN value in my filenames so I have it there for reference, although I know APP can't use that.

Regarding the GAIN value of 201, I can't seem to get the slider in the ZWO Ascom driver to settle on 200, so I left it at 201 as the closest value.  Looks like some earlier frames were shot at 200.  

Thanks,
Rowland

ReplyQuote
Share: