Latest APP version ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

[Solved] Latest APP version not stable on my computer - AMD radeon HD7700 series driver issue !

22 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
71.2 K Views
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Tried APP 1.054 today. The rotating tool works fine now but this version of APP is not stable on my computer so I went back to 1.049.

1.050 worked good but I can't download it anymore and didn't save a copy.

Don't know why but APP version 1.054 freezes on my computer with almost all tasks. Frame register (mosaic) goes up to 80%. sometimes 33 en sometimes it will not start.

Clearing lights and try to open new frames causes APP to grey out everything and using one of the tools has the same result, only restarting the program works.

Tooltips can't be disabled as they keep coming back.

Processed frames aren't showing untill you clear frames which then result in another freeze.

When I finally got some of the tools working it does save the frame but the little menu stays at 1% and APP freezes again.

1.049 is now creating my first mosaic stack so that works but the result isn't finished yet, at least it's past registering.

Must be some conflict or something with my computer but I don't know where to start looking. No problems with any other program and I executed APP with nothing else running.

Do you have any idea of what's causing this?

Greetings,

Susan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Susan,

That doesn't sound very good at all indeed ;-( You are the first to report problems like this, so it might be related to your local installation somehow. I have tested on Linux Mint, MacOS and Windows without seeing any of the reported problems.

Some information would be useful to get to the bottom of this:

1) Which operating system are you using?

2) If on windows, did you specify an install directory of your own choice, or did you use defaults?

My first suggestion would be to first try to do a totally clean installation of APP to check whether that has effect.

On windows, remove APP using the control panel, and check that the directory where APP was installed is removed as well. then install 1.054.

default in c:/users/[your username]/AppData/Local/AstroPixelProcessor

MacOS:. remove the application by removing APP from the applications folder, then re-install 1.054.

Linux: remove APP DEB package completely using the console command: "sudo apt-get purge astropixelprocessor", then re-install APP 1.054.

If you don't have sudo enable on your linux OS, make sure you have rights to remove the APP installation and run apt-get purge astropixelprocessor.

In case of RPM packages, you should be able to remove it completely using the RPM package manager or a similar console command.

Let me know if a clean install has any effect on 1.054's behaviour on your system.

A final suggestion but maybe not applicable for your problems but still useful to mention: don't try to run APP using another java runtime by running the jar file in the installation directory yourself, this will give problems. It is not designed to work like that.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Just tried a clean installation and ran APP in administrator mode (Win10 x64) it had the same results. I did use a specific install directory so I can try to do another clean install using the default.

A simple stack of 5 lights freezed during normalization this time.

I don't run jar files or anything and I do think it's a local problem but don't know where to start looking as previous versions ran just fine.

I made some screenshots of the freezes, tooltips coming back and the stack not showing up so if you think that will help I can upload those.

First I will try another clean install and will update my laptop to see if it has the same problems eventhough it's not meant to run APP because the laptop is slow.

Will report back with the results.

Greetings,

Susan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thank you Susan, probably it's also interesting to know if you have any security software running? 

APP 1.054 is signed using the best available security certificate on windows, but I can't exclude the possibility that some application on your system is interfering with the running and execution of APP. So if you could give some insights on any security related software on your system it might help to solve this.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

The good news is that it's running on my laptop just fine.

Still no luck with the desktop. I've even used revo uninstaller to clean everything and did a clean install. Removed some programs that may have something to do with java.

Removed Microsoft visual C++ x86 versions because I'm using x64

The difference with my laptop is that I'm running the home version on my desktop and the pro version of windows on my laptop.

They both use the same anti virus control (F-secure).

Desktop also has malwarebytes installed but the program was turned of in the taskmanager so it wouldn't load at start up, I used ccleaner before executing a clean administrator install of APP.

Only a backup program runs at start up (aomei) but the laptop uses the same version.

I don't know what the difference is between version .50 and .54 

Can try to turn F-secure off but I don't think it will make a difference because the laptop is using the same version, will try anyway. I will also take a look at the build version of Windows maybe it has something to do with the early creator's update I installed.

Thank you for taking your time to try to help me with what is clearly a problem with my computer. Just wanted to ask you because you wrote the program and maybe know what could cause a conflict.

Regards,

Susan

ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Update: the build version of windows is the latest on both computers.

Turning off f-secure didn't work, also turned of windows firewall.

There are no hardware conflicts and windows only starts up with the minimum needed I turned everything off (allready but checked again).

Susan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your feedback and checking several things that could be the cause of this.

One more check, is you desktop windows 64bits?

The problems you describe seem to indicate that another application or the OS is blocking normal execution of the java runtime in which APP runs. Can you find in the software list of installed applications if there is a recent installed application that could be responsible?

The biggest difference between 1.049, 1.050 and 1.054 on an OS level is probably that APP, since version 1.050 is signed by a security certificate so windows and security software recognizes it as safe software. So this should only have improved APP's behaviour on windows. To be sure, can you check the following: right mouse click on APP's installer .exe file and check the security of the file, can you find anything related to digitally signing of the installer? If all is well, windows should report that the signing is valid.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Yes desktop and laptop are 64 bits.

I tried to find some information on line and that suggested that java waits for files to be released by other programs completely before further handling.

Have to say that I don't know anything about java.

certificaat

I think this is the security certificate you meant.

I deleted every program that maybe could couse problems except a video editing program I installed in June.

Still think it's strange that a previous version works because those versions also use java.

APP starts to work but stays at 1% so it does look like it's waiting for something.

Also compared the software list from the laptop with the desktop besides a few programs more on the desktop the main difference is that the desktop has more versions of visual C+ installed.

Also stopped most tasks and services with the taskmanager and the result is still the same.

edit: Also deleted windows log files, ran a system file check, deleted the video editing program and several other programs and tried using files from a memory stick.

Will leave it for today.

Regards,

Susan

ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Good news I found the problem, took a long time but the graphics adapter driver was the problem. Set it to a previous version and APP is working like it should now!

Thanks again for your help trying to resolve the problem.

Greetings,

Susan

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

😉

Oh, that's good news indeed, so I guess the graphics driver had a bug then somewhere in the 2D drawing engine. At least you were able to find the cause of this nasty behaviour. So everything that you removed besides the buggy graphics driver can be re-installed without problems then I would assume 😉

Thank you for sharing the solution, I'll keep this in mind in case others report such problems. Can you share what kind of video driver it is? Or perhaps the version number of the driver is even better?

Yes, the software security signing was correct as shown in your screenshot 😉

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@susan)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

It was the june or july version for AMD radeon HD7700 series driver, they released a new driver 22th of august 2017 and that driver works version number 22.19.673.0 and the standard windows driver from 13th of january 2016 (15.301.1701.0) also works.

Just a bit of information I want to share in case anyone else ever gets simular problems:

Before I found the solution I did some more testing and APP froze when finishing a task so if you set up all the settings and clicked integrate it would produce a stack but froze directly after that. If you only analyzed stars it would freeze after that task same with the tools section. And half way during very complicated tasks if you used a lot of lights. 

Have a great weekend,

Susan

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Thank you Susan for the extensive information 😉

I'll upgrade this to a sticky and adjust the topic name, so others will find it quickly.

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@astropix62)
Hydrogen Atom

I have a problem similar to what was described earlier in this thread where APP starts to work but stays at 1% so it does look like it's waiting for something it never gets

I have been using APP under a trial license for a couple of weeks now and have been using it without any major issues.  The biggest problem I've encountered (prior to today) is that it will sometimes complete an integration and not save the final integrated image.  Recently, however, it seems to stopped working.

After I load the lights & darks, I run calibrate, the icon flashes and then nothing seems to happen.  If I then analyze stars, the progress indication never makes it past 1%.

After I load the lights & darks, I run calibrate, the icon flashes briefly and then nothing seems to happen.  If I then attempt to analyze stars, the progress indication never makes it past 1%.  At that point if I cancel then all processing options are greyed out.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail.  I'm running Windows 10 professional on a 6-core i7 with 60GB of RAM so I don't think that resources are a problem.

What is most perplexing is that APP was working for  while and the only thing that changed was a display driver installation that I have subsequently removed (also to no avail) Any thoughts? 

Gary

Can you help?

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Gary and I are communicating using e-mail to solve this issue, but I'll post the contents here as well:

Hi Gary,

The problem that you describe does sound strange. Haven’t heard or seen it before. Did it happen again? Can you reproduce the error?

To locate and clarify the problem it will be most helpful if you could send me a screenshot of all the information in the bottom frame list panel and the contents of the console. At least the last hundred lines. That should help me in fixing the issue.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

The only thing I've always had regarding "freezing" is that APP stops all activity when my screen is switched to energy mode. OSX has been set to never go to sleep etc, just the monitor. It could just be my system for some reason, maybe even Java related, but I always have to keep APP "awake" after a while.

PEJU reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Vincent @supernov,

On my macbook 2016  with MacOS Sierra (now High Sierra) I need to set it to not go to sleep and then it works properly, I don't get freezes like you describe. Which MacOS version are you using?

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

High Sierra. Maar heb het al sinds APP is begonnen, dus ik vermoed dat het eerder een Java probleem is. Ik heb de computer ook niet op slapen staan, alleen de monitor. Ik zal het eens beter in de gaten houden, kijk ook even of het zo is als de monitor aan blijft.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

@supernov, I'll do some tests then on my macbook. Maybe it's indeed related to the Java platform on MacOS.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@bradleyford)
Hydrogen Atom

I'm having the same problem as Gary.  I bought a new computer with integrated Radeon graphics and all is well except when pressing the "analyse stars" button, at which point all the buttons gray out like it's working but nothing happens (nothing appears in the log window when the button is pressed, error or otherwise, so nothing to paste here unless there's a log elsewhere that I can include).  I've tried various datasets that worked before.  Everything works fine on another computer with Nvidia graphics, so maybe it's a problem with graphics.  This is version 1.063.

I haven't determined how to change the drivers yet -- it claims I have the latest, but I don't know how to change that nor what I would change to try to improve the situation.  This is a fairly new type of integrated graphics chip and maybe it's buggy.  Happy to help troubleshoot if I can.

Radeon Software Version - 18.5.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi @Bradley,

Thank you for reporting this.

I think I know what's the issue here. Can you try the following for me on your computer:

1. Load your lights and possible calibration frames/masters.
  2. Click in 2) on eiher create Master  & assign to lights or (re-)assign masters to lights
  3. Start star analysis

Does star analysis start in this case ?

Kind regards,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@bradleyford)
Hydrogen Atom

This trick did get it working (software is the same as two weeks ago when I posted my issue).  I'm still mystified by why it works differently on different computers but I've processed 3 or 4 more sets with no problems now.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Hi Bradley @bradleyford,

Just to follow-up on the issue you experienced. There was a small bug in the interface that caused the issue. The trick described circumvented the issue in this case. But the issue was found and resolved in the latest version, so it shouldn't happen again 😉

Mabula

Bradley reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: