ASI 1600MM Pro patt...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

ASI 1600MM Pro patter noise issue

13 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
14.9 K Views
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

This camera seems to do something strange...

I have uploaded 10x30sec luminance frames here:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sfl_l2EFqQg44abdvOE5ZGb19GDB7Au8

For testing I have just stacked the frames and it shows a weird pattern noise. The same thing happens when I apply calibration frames. Am I doing something wrong here ?

Cheers,

Janos

St avg 300.0s NR x 1.0 LZ3 NS full eq add sc BWMV nor AA RL noMBB St St

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@gregwrca)
Black Hole

Are you dithering?

ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

No, I didn't use dithering so far. I will try it the next time to see if it makes a difference.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

@jarbi58,

Hi Janos,

I'll have a look at the files. I have a ASI 1600mm-c myself. Not the Pro, but I believe the first version.

Like Greg indicated, what you are seeing is probably the result of not dithering and not using a Bad Pixel Map. It seems that the non-linear hot pixels are burning stripes in the integration because the images are shot with little movements between the exposures and all movements are in the same direction.

Which gain and offset did you use?

Cheers,

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi Mabula,

Thanks for your reply ! In between I have done more imaging with the camera by using a full calibration set, and it looks better:  https://www.astrobin.com/333551/?nc=user. However I am not yet convinced.

Since I am mostly working with multiple camera's at the same time, dithering is not an option for me. The reason is : there is no way to "synchronize" the start/stop times of the exposures between multiple camera's. So I will try to gather more experience with the ASI 1600 MM Pro, hopefully it was only a processing problem,

Clear skies,

Janos

ReplyQuote
(@gregwrca)
Black Hole

If you use same guide camera, or not, should be able to dither with PhD and the image capturing software? If it is just an issue of dither recovery time that can't be tweaked no? Sorry if I seem persistent but it seems like that would make this all go away. I've been thinking of getting this camera.

ReplyQuote
(@sprinklestudios)
Molecular Cloud

This is an issue that a lot of ASI1600MM-Pro users have had... myself included. Here is a post over at ZWO's forum where a few of us talked about it:
http://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7644
I contacted ZWO and sent them some of my FITS files and they determined there was a hardware issue with the camera. If you have just recently purchased the camera from a good dealer then you might be able to exchange it. If not I think you have to send it to ZWO. I think I saw somewhere that they mentioned it was an internal power issue. But can't find that link now.

I exchanged my camera because I had just purchased it and the new one works wonderfully.

Good luck!

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  
Posted by: gdwats@comcast.net

If you use same guide camera, or not, should be able to dither with PhD and the image capturing software? If it is just an issue of dither recovery time that can't be tweaked no? Sorry if I seem persistent but it seems like that would make this all go away. I've been thinking of getting this camera.

Hi,

Maybe I was not clear what I have ment with multiple camera's: I am imaging with multiple ( 2 or 3 ) camera's at the sametime. That's why I'm saying that dithering is not an option for me. I am still trying to eliminate the pattern noise by using different ways of processing. This evening I was using sigma stacking for my bias and dark frames - didn't give better results. I have found several reports of this phenomenon ( a "random issue" according to ZWO ), I will maybe request a replacement.. 

ReplyQuote
(@gregwrca)
Black Hole

Oh, I do see. Yes that could present a problem. I don't know of any other way though to deal with a cumulative fixed Point noise, other man to turn the background completely black almost. Clip clip clip bad practice. Good luck with the return if that's the solution. I have a feeling it is not. Some Noise can be cleaned up with lots and lots and lots of Subs but I don't think this type can. Mabula may know better tricks.

ReplyQuote
(@gregwrca)
Black Hole

I use apt for a DSLR myself, but it also can handle CCD and multiple cameras. Perhaps you should look into it? Here is a link

https://ideiki.com/astro/usersguide/multi_camera_operation.htm

I haven't looked into it but perhaps one camera could pause while the other one is dithering and vice versa. Another option would to be if your exposure times differ because of sensitivities maybe you could have one take 15-minute pictures the other takes 30min,  set the first one to dither every two images something along those lines

ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Hi,

Thanks for your tip, I will look at it. I have already contacted ZWO and Sam advised to request a camera replacement, I will do that first. Normally I would expect that dithering is not necessary at all with this camera.

ReplyQuote
(@mabula-admin)
Universe Admin

Posted by: Dennis

This is an issue that a lot of ASI1600MM-Pro users have had... myself included. Here is a post over at ZWO's forum where a few of us talked about it:
http://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7644
I contacted ZWO and sent them some of my FITS files and they determined there was a hardware issue with the camera. If you have just recently purchased the camera from a good dealer then you might be able to exchange it. If not I think you have to send it to ZWO. I think I saw somewhere that they mentioned it was an internal power issue. But can't find that link now.

I exchanged my camera because I had just purchased it and the new one works wonderfully.

Good luck!

@sprinklestudios, thank you for sharing this.

@jarbi58, according to Dennis, a replacement indeed might be needed. Do let us know if the problem still persists or is solved when you get the replacement.

Mabula

ReplyQuote
(@jarbi58)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

Thanks Mabula, I also saw the post and requested replacement

Mabula-Admin reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: