Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please note our new Downloads page here

2023-01-19: APP 2.0.0-beta13 has been released !

!!! Big performance increase due to optimizations in integration !!!

and upgraded development platform to GraalVM 22.3 based on openJDK19

We are very close now to  releasing APP 2.0.0 stable with a complete printable manual...

Astro Pixel Processor Windows 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Intel 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor macOS Apple M Silicon 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux DEB 64-bit

Astro Pixel Processor Linux RPM 64-bit

M1 Native Support

Page 6 / 6

(@jeffmorgan)
Main Sequence Star Customer

Don't know if they would have pulled a similar stunt with Ultra machines, but the base MacBook Air models have slower SSD speeds than the other MBA models:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/07/14/m2-macbook-air-slower-ssd-base-model/

ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)

@walsc Congrats to Your new Ultra!

I think the "poor scaling" this is more of a luxury problem which has been observed with a lot of other programs already (Lightroom, Da Vinci Resolve, FinalCutPro etc.), so it's not APP specific For GPU particularly but also for CPU, the problem for the scaling is there is just not as much work to do at a certain point in time for the CPU, so it will only use 67% of the CPU, while waiting fore more instructions to be decoded/data to be loaded.The 10-core M1 Max on the other hand can be fully loaded. A sweet spot might be around 12- 16 CPU cores (which might come in the shape of M2 Pro/Max later this year.

Your Ultra seems just too big for APP and You would need to throw larger Mpix images at it for stacking (like mosaics). I do not expect the RAM to be a bottleneck here, the Unified RAM with its large bus on the Ultra is a huge leap.

Having said this, there is still room for improvement / optimization for the code and it will be hard for any power hog application to not optimize code for Apple Silicon further. Another area would be the Neural engine, because other than GPUs, which can only do simply calculations, it is also capable of handling more complex vector / matrix multiplication, while it may be addressed internally via Core ML Layer

Cheers,

Jochen

ReplyQuote
(@walsc)
White Dwarf Customer

Sounds reasonable, thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@nhantuonghuynh)
Molecular Cloud Customer

Sorry to revive this thread but would an M1 pro 8core cpu and 16gb ran good enough for APP?

I'm upgrading from an iMac with i7-4790 with 32gb, the machine is getting slow now

This post was modified 4 months ago by Nhan Huynh

ReplyQuote
(@jonathankimmitt)
White Dwarf Customer

I found that 16GB is enough for good performance on stacking arbitrary amounts of 3K x 2K images. However if you are mosaicing there is a bigger memory footprint and it works best with prestacked images.

ReplyQuote
(@jochen-scharmann)

@nhantuonghuynh: It all depends on  the size and number of Your subs. Mine are 4000 x 6000 (24 Mpx) and I use to stack  a few hundreds of them on a 10-core on an M1 MAX (mac Studio)with 64 GB .

As APP is almost entirely using the CPU, I'd stay away from the binned CPU version if You can afford it, but You can use the binned GPU version without impact. In terms of RAM, You may be OK with 16 or 24 GB, but remember APP eats up the RAM quickly in various scenarios and runs into SWAP, meaning it pushes& shoves stuff to the SSD. So take care to have a fast and big enough drive (as a rule of thumb, You'll need 100x the picture size available).

However if You're doing weird stuff like mosaics, thing quickly build up as Jonathan mentioned. If Your are to buy an M1 laptop, choose one which is not too prone to thermal throttling, to avoid speed limits after 15 min full load. Stacking jobs tend to be marathons rather than sprints.

Clear Skies,

Jochen

ReplyQuote
(@nhantuonghuynh)
Molecular Cloud Customer

@Jonathan: maybe this could be my work around

@Jochen: my mosaics are usually 100-300s 30Mpx per panel so I guess more core would be preferable, I'll check the thermal to see if these MacBook Pros could handle it running full load.

Thank you for your help!

ReplyQuote
(@walsc)
White Dwarf Customer

After the installation of the Update to MacOS Ventura my M1 Ultra first time reached temps around 90°C during the final integration task. The first time ever I could hear the fans in this thing. At first I was like: what's this whispering sound? Then I noticed it was my computer. It never did that before. Maybe Apple has done something about the M1 Ultra's performane-issues and it now kind of uses the power it has? I don't know.  

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share: