AstroPixelprocessor...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

AstroPixelprocessor hangs when started under MacOS Big Sur

113 Posts
13 Users
27 Likes
(@eckhardv)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

When APP starts it opens the "specify working directory dialog". When the dialog window gets the focus it is modal and the app hangs!

The problem exists in all Betas of Big Sur. I am happy to test any new build under Big Sur. 

Best regards

Eckhard

This topic was modified 4 years ago by eckhardv

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Thanks very much for testing this! MacOS is proving to be more challenging with the recent new directions. Luckily we know we can compile for ARM as well in the future when needed, but it's not smooth sailing unfortunately. We will do our best of course to keep it working. 🙂 I've notified Mabula about your findings.

ReplyQuote
(@eckhardv)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

I am running an Intel-based notebook. The release of MacOS 11 Big Sur is due any day now. I would like to get APP working again as I prefer APP for calibration and stacking.

Best regards,

Eckhard

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Yes we would like to as well, these changes take some time and we don't have beta access. It's always best (I think) to wait a month or so before upgrading anyway, I usually wait until the .1 MacOS version comes out as many bugs get fixed then as well. We will test this as soon as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@eckhardv)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

You need to get an Apple Developer ID anyway to properly sign APP! It is 99$ per year and will also give you access to all Beta releases for new operating systems etc. 

The current APP release requires circumnavigating the MacOS security system to enable APP on MacOS. This is just very unprofessional. These security concepts are there for a reason. To ask a user to compromise security because the application software is not signed with the necessary credentials as the operating platform requires makes no sense.  

APP is a great piece of software and I hate it being a second class citizen under MacOS. Please get this sorted out. If you have questions, I am happy to assist!

Best regards

Eckhard

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Of course it's not second class why would you think that? The software is fully working just like on any other OS. I talked with Mabula a bit and he is actually using a Developer license, I wasn't aware of that. But he isn't testing Beta versions as he has to spend time on the other OS versions as well and that becomes too much then. We are commited to all OS-versions.

So the actual problem here is not the signing, he does that already, it's notarizing. The new MacOS isn't notarizing Java 8 apps and we are actually going to migrate to Java 11. That should solve this by then.

ReplyQuote
(@mkearl)
Brown Dwarf

@vincent-mod

I am also on the latest beta and it is crashing. It was actually working up until the last version for me.

wornish reacted
ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

Tried both 1.082 and also APP 1.083 Beta1  on my iMac running MacOS BigSur 11 Beta the latest version and it crashes.   It did work on an earlier beta version but something has changed and it now crashes 😭 

Any idea when to expect a fix?  I really don't want to have to go back to an earlier version of MacOS just for one app all the other apps work fine.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

We're not running beta versions of an OS as this would take too much time out of Mabula's already busy programming schedule. So when Big Sur officially arrives we will work on that asap, I would advice not to use beta OS versions unless you're a developer on that OS. Apple also states it's best not to install those on your actual working computer.

ReplyQuote
(@mkearl)
Brown Dwarf

They haven't officially announced the conference, but it is leaked to take place on the 17th of Nov, with the invitations going out on the 10th. They will be releasing the new hardware running on their Apple silicon/ARM-based processors.

With that being said, the GM version of Big Sur should be out a week before the conference. So Mabula should be able to restart development on APP at that point to make sure things work on current hardware before making it work on Apple silicon.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Of course that will be the path as it's always been. 🙂 We also have an idea how to implement ARM support and that's probably not a real big issue. Main reason we want that is because of the many cloud servers running on arm.

ReplyQuote
(@mkearl)
Brown Dwarf

@vincent-mod Are you suggesting a potential version of APP that will run on the cloud? Because that would be legit. Just saying. 😉 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Very potentially (e.g. no plans for as of yet), the cloud is also just a server and many run on arm processors. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mkearl)
Brown Dwarf

@vincent-mod

Just a heads up, but the latest version 11.01 of Big Sur works with APP. Looks like they fixed something in Java to work a little better.

ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

Posted by: @mkearl

@vincent-mod

Just a heads up, but the latest version 11.01 of Big Sur works with APP. Looks like they fixed something in Java to work a little better.

Thanks for sharing this.  

Great news just tried it and yes it works again.

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Excellent, thanks for sharing, so it was a MacOS beta issue. This also nicely illustrates the point of us not testing on beta versions of any OS and it being better not to run beta versions on your main machine.

ReplyQuote
(@eckhardv)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Please don’t jump to conclusions like this.

APP running on previous MacOS 11 betas was hanging (endless loop). APP running under the latest MacOS Big Sur beta 11.01 on my MacBook Pro crashes with an „illegal instruction“ error. 

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It seems to work (from crashing to working) on independant machines, that's not "jumping to conclusions". We will check it out when the full release is there, point remains that it's best, precisely because of this, not to run beta's on a main machine, as Apple also states.

https://developer.apple.com/support/install-beta/

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

It seems to now work fine on my iMac running macOS 11.01.  Before, on macOS 11.00. it simply crashed at startup.

Let's wait and see what the final Big Sur release brings which I think is now expected 17th Nov when Apple are holding their next announcement.

ReplyQuote
(@eckhardv)
White Dwarf
Topic starter  

Vincent,

there is no reason to become aggressive or impolite.

Of course it is jumping to conclusions if you diagnose this as an Apple Beta problem. Fact is, we all don't know why this happens. What we know is that on some machines it is working with MacOS 11.01. Whether it will work with the MacOS 11 final release we just don't know.

I started this thread to make Mabula aware that there was a problem lurking. Beta releases of MacOS are intended for developers to make sure their application software still runs under the next release. I am using beta releases for similar reasons. 

I personally don't care whether APP works with MacOS 11 or not, I can use a different machine with a different operating system or another astro processing software on this machine.

@wornish: what is the build number you are using?

I am using macOS 11.0 (20A5395g)

Best regards

Eckhard

ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

My build number is different from yours.

Its macOS 11.0.1 Beta (20B5012d)

Looking at yours you are still on Version 11.0 that may be why it doesn't work for you.

Screenshot 2020 11 01 at 12.25.44

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Posted by: @eckhardv

Vincent,

there is no reason to become aggressive or impolite.

I'm sorry if that came across like that, I'm merely stating a best practice for beta OS versions and problems that can arise from using one. As I mentioned at the beginning, I appreciate the notification of it being a problem on the beta, which will mean we will look at it immediately after the official release, that's basically all I wanted to say. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

Just updated my iMac to the final release candidate for Big Sur. macOS 11.0.1 (20B5022a) 

Tried a quick run through with APP and there are problems again ☹️ 

It was working fine on the earlier Beta.

Thought I would share the info.

Screenshot 2020 11 06 at 12.51.32
Screenshot 2020 11 06 at 12.52.24

ReplyQuote
(@mkearl)
Brown Dwarf

@wornish

Where did you run into that error? I've been processing fine since the newest update went out. I am 1.083 beta on APP, and the latest version of Big Sur. I just ran it again to double-check.

You might want to reinstall it to see if it fixes anything, or run a newer version. Not sure. 

ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

I updated Big Sur this morning to the Release Candidate as shown in my post.

I got the error when doing a simple test loaded some narrowband images 4 Red, 4 Green and 4 Blue.  The error happened at stage 4 Registration.

I clicked continue and it did finish.  Then all was well until I got to the integration stage. Same error.

I am running 1.083 beta 1 will re download and try again.

ReplyQuote
(@wornish)
White Dwarf

False alarm.  

I just downloaded the latest full release of APP 1.082 and ran that on the original data same error.

So had a look at the data I was using and 3 of the files were corrupted. I had done some tweaking to the files to remove satellite trails and obviously messed up.

So I opened some known good data and all is working OK now.

Teach me not to check first 🙂

I will stay at 1.082 for now though.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-from-northern-mi)
Red Giant

Now that the public release of Big Sur has happened does APP work OK with this?

Just making sure that it would be safe to make the update.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

I upgraded my MacBook to Big Sur already but haven't tried APP yet, sorry.

ReplyQuote
(@wvreeven)
Quasar

I did an integration of CR2 files tonight using previously created master dark, master dark flat, master flat and bad pixel map and APP did NOT crash.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-from-northern-mi)
Red Giant

Unfortunately APP does not open for me under the Big Sur OS.

I am running version 1.081.

A message outside of the application pops up asking where the working directory is.  This seems essentially locked up.

That was my 1st try.  I may install version 1.082 yet I wouldn't know whether there would be a specific reason why this would work better than 1.081.

Screen Shot 2020 11 14 at 10.17.33 AM

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: