20 January 2021: Soon to be released APP 1.083-beta2 : improved comet registration, updated tools, new Star Reducer Tool and more...
16 November 2020 - Wouter van Reeven has officially joined the Astro Pixel Processor Team as a moderator on our forum, welcome Wouter 🙂 !
Credit for renter upgrade to owner?
Is there a discounted upgrade path from rental to owner or is it full price after the rental term?
Good question and I have no idea, it's likely you can discuss something like that with Mabula (@mabula-admin).
Message sent to mabula on 12/19, no response yet.
I ask because I've rented software from other vendors who gave the option to purchase at the end of the rental for a discounted price. Sort of like leasing a car.
I think we could work something out, but I can't decide regarding that. Seems Mabula is crazy busy this end of the year so hope he comes back to it..
Any additional word on this? I am interested in this option as well. Thanks...
There is no upgrade path.
You select either renter's or owner's and pay the associated license fee.
The difference is that owners pay an additional fee if they want to upgrade to a newer release, renters always have the latest revision of APP.
Indeed, there is no upgrade option to the Owner License after 1 year of having used a Renter License with a subtraction of the Renter license cost.
The reason is that it concerns a different license model, like stated in the product description:
- an Astro Pixel Processor license that never expires. You buy the software, so the software wil never stop working after the initial software activation.
- you will always have access to download the latest APP version with updates and bug fixes.
- in case of a big upgrade of Astro Pixel Processor in the future, that introduces new features or structurally enhances the user interface, you could be asked an upgrade fee if you want to use the upgraded version. The old version without upgrade will not stop to work.
- an Astro Pixel Processor license that expires after 365 days. You rent the software, so the software will stop working after the expiry date.
- after license expiry, you can renew your Renter’s license for another 365 days for the same amount of 50 euros excluding VAT.
- you will always have access to download the latest APP version with updates, bug fixes and major upgrades.
So the Renter and Owner license model are different with respect to future major upgrades. So my advice is to choose the model that suits you best.
Please let me know if this answers your questions about the license types and if you have any others,
Thanks for the reply. I thought this was the case but I needed to know for sure.
Thank you again for the fast response.