Integration Weighti...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

15th Feb 2024: Astro Pixel Processor 2.0.0-beta29 released - macOS native File Chooser, macOS CMD-Q fixed, read-only Fits on network fixed and other bug fixes

7th December 2023:  added payment option Alipay to purchase Astro Pixel Processor from China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and other countries where Alipay is used.

Integration Weighting

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
 Tim
(@tim)
Red Giant
Topic starter  

One thing that I've never understood is why the default weighting in 6) Integration is Equal. Since many new users often start using the defaults with APP they would automatically get a less than optimal result with this setting then if they used Quality.

Also in version 1.076  A new choice - automatic integration seems to be great. The documentation says  "With the automatic integration method, APP will automatically set either median or average integration, set suitable integration weights (either equal or quality weights) and it will enable an outlier rejection filter with suitable kappa low and high values, all depending on the number of frames in the integration/stack. With light frames, it will even enable Local Normalization rejection if preferred. " I don't understand how Equal Weight can ever be better than Quality Weight. 

Without knowing the selection criteria for Quality vs Equal I would hesitate to use this excellent new automatic integration choice.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

It's about the number of frames basically, below 20 it has an advantage to go for one or the other. This will be clear in the upcoming documentation, the automatic setting will make this easy also for the novice user.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel_n)
Red Giant

Hi,

I tried all of them recently and could see no difference. No matter if I have set "equal" or "star shape" or "quality" or "SNR".

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

That's possible, sometimes the differences are minor. You propably can tell when zooming in and "pixel peep". But it'll depend on the quality of the data.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel_n)
Red Giant

No ... not even that. I was up to 400% view. And I couldn't see a difference. Pixel was exactly the same.
The data was from a color camera (Canon 5D MK IV). Maybe this is different with a mono camera?

ReplyQuote
(@vincent-mod)
Universe Admin

Well no, but it'll depend a lot on things like the amount of subs, sky quality, noise, etc. If all your subs are excellent for instance, the quality integration will not be very different (if at all) from integrating on all.

ReplyQuote
Share: